This is a wonderfully tasty, cheap, eco-friendly, filling and healthy soup – what could be better?!
1. Fry an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic for seven or eight minutes
2. Add 200g/8oz red lentils and stir around for a minute or so. If you like this herby you could put in some dried mixed herbs too.
3. Pour in 250ml/half pint of milk, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and enough water to cover the whole lot with extra for the lentils to soak up.
4. Bring to the boil and cook gently for about 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Check there’s enough water every now and then as the lentils need to be well covered with water in order to cook through.
5. When it’s cook enough, whizz it up with a blender or serve as it is.
6. It’s delicious like this, but I sometimes like to add a tsp of pesto on top of each bowl as I serve it.